Today I'm here with 5 Writing Myths that I feel are common ideas--and why I don't believe they're true. I think you'll find a lot of writers agree with me on these! I feel beginning writers or people who are interested in the idea of writing can see these preconceived ideas and be set back or maybe even completely stopped by them if they get discouraged or feel they don't match up...which we certainly don't want! So let's get started with our myths.
- We are all introverted. I doubt I'm the only extroverted writer out there. Writing is a solitary pursuit, yes--kind of. But trust me, that doesn't mean extroverts are incapable of doing it!
- Writing is a grueling, hair pulling ordeal. Yes, it's hard sometimes. Yes, it can produce momentary panic. However, it's also a lot of fun. It's exciting. It's calming. It's energizing. It's just plain awesome, and the great fun times far out weigh the difficult.
- Writers are super at grammar. haha. My mum would disagree with that one. She is always saying "I don't understand how you can love writing so much and not like grammar!" I can't explain how it works, but it happens--and I'm sure there's others like me on this one!
- Writer's Block is the plague all writers go through at random intervals. Actually, I think writer's block is easily avoidable. But even if we do get stuck on something, it doesn't mean we wallow in the despair of Writer's Block. Most of the time the block is just mental, or maybe a sign that you need a break--and most writers I know don't actually bemoan the condition very often.
- Unless writing is a born-gift for you, you shouldn't attempt it. Bah! lol. Anybody can write, if they've got a will too. Writing takes practice, and even those who seem to have more of a knack for it require hours and hours of practice. Very few of us--may I hazhard a "nobody"?--has written beautiful writing their live long days. Even the ones people praise as "natural" have written horribly awful pieces, I can gaurantee.
Those are the top writing myths that come to mind for me--how about you? I'm super curious to see what ideas about writing you found to be not-quite-so-accurate. Leave me a comment below telling me what writing myth bothers you the most, and why!
You all have a lovely day!