Today I'm here sharing 8 sites that have really helped me in my indie-author journey. The tips and tricks found on these sites are amazing and I've really learned a lot from them. So let's get started! :)
- Joel Friedlander Book Designer Mr. Friedlander writes really intelligent and insightful articles on book cover design, book formatting, typography, self-publishing, ebooks, legal issues, and more. This is my go to place for any of the nitty-gritty of book design, questions on ISBN numbers or copyrights etc. This is also pretty much where I learned everything I know on interior and cover design.
- She's Novel This site by Kristen is cram-packed with tons of amazing posts. She writes about plot structure, growing a readership, different points-of-views, and the authorly life. She really does a good job of explaining things and has a lot of in-depth posts.
- Helping Writers Become Authors This blog by K.M. Weiland is another great place for writing reference. She goes into novel structure, character arcs, common writing mistakes, etc.
- Create Space Forum and Blog I used the blog how-to's and the forum on here so many times. It's wonderful because it's specific for the printing company of Createspace, so you know the information is entirely applicable if that's the route you're going. The forum was also a huge help to me when I had questions that just weren't answered by a google search. I really appreciated the cover-sizing tutorials, book interior formatting tips, ISBN number explanations and more.
- The Write Practice This blog has daily prompts, tips, and posts. They get you to thinking, and make writing rules, tips and advice clear.
- The Creative Penn This is the blog of Joanna Penn, where she writes articles primarily on book marketing, which was a great asset to me especially when starting out.
- Writerology This site by Faye goes deep into creating rich and believable characters through personality, relationships, emotions, dialogue and more. The name of the blog is actually a squish of writer + psychology!
- Your Writer Platform Last but not least, this site is all about your writer's platform-- marketing, creating good relationships with readers, etc.
As an Indie Author, most of us have to do everything ourselves. It can be rather daunting starting out, especially if you have no idea where to begin, or what to learn, or what stuff actually is. That's why these kinds of websites and blogs are so helpful. You can glean the information you need from them, get better grounded, and learn what is important for you to know and what isn't.
What are some of your favorite websites or blogs that are great tools for indie authors? Let me know in the comments below! :)
You all have a lovely day!